Make A Good Promotional Video To Stand Out From Competitors
By Marc Burger, Content Manager
How can you effectively promote your products or services in video? The answer is in this article!
- Short and fast promotional video is always better
- Come up with a vision before you start shooting your promotional video
- Brand your promotional video
- Your promotional video should show that you are solving a problem, or offering something your audience does not have
- Pay attention to quality in your video: look professional!
- Make your promotional video SEO-friendly, so it can be found easily
We should start this article by asking the question: why should companies use promotional video to promote their products or services?
Video explains things much more quickly: a good way to summarise condensed information, which will be digested more quickly by your viewers.
Video attracts more attention from your target audience
And videos can be shared on Facebook, Instagram, Tik Tok, Youtube, linkedin… so it is easier to reach your audience.
Let’s start with an inspiring video, to give you a concrete idea ?
What makes this video inspiring and memorable?
- dynamic music,
- a short length,
- a choice of colours, which rhymes with youth, health, well-being and creativity,
- a brand that offers healthy food and recipes, while indulging yourself,
- a staging that gives rhythm, almost poetry to the art of cooking.
Let’s give you another example, this time from Starbucks:
Here, it is the human side that is highlighted by the brand, the review of the past year, in just one minute, with :
- customers and colleagues who are happy to make Starbucks grow,
- good humour and positive energy,
- and a dynamic pace: there’s never a dull moment when you watch this content.
Would you also like to create a promotional video for your company? Consider following this short checklist. And as a bonus, we’ll give you some inspiration!
Short and fast promotional video is always better
You also experience this on a daily basis: when we scroll through our news feed on social networks, we are bombarded with promotional messages, and have very little time (sometimes no time at all) to give them.
As you can see, the first rule to keep in mind for your promotional video is to keep it short, to say the essential as quickly as possible, ideally during the first 7 seconds of a video, which ideally should not exceed 1 minute 30 seconds.
Come up with a vision before you start shooting your promotional video
This is the anticipation and logistics part. Any video must first be part of a strategy.
- What is the objective of this video? Your goal for your business? To gain notoriety? To get leads? Get contacts? Demo requests for your product or service?
- Who is your target audience?
- What tone should you adopt?
- What music?
- What location to shoot the video?
- Who is going to appear in your video?
This is why you need to write a storyboard before the video shoot, which will divide your video into several scenes (like a comic strip), with all the necessary details. This document will be your roadmap, don’t lose it!
You can watch this video if you want to know how to write a promotional video script.
Brand your promotional video
Talking about your product and attracting attention is good. But your audience also needs to know who you are. And that’s the role of branding, the visual identity of every brand. When you see Mickey Mouse, you know you’re dealing with Disney. The same goes for Ronald McDonald. But what about you? What is your brand identity? Your logo? Your colour codes? Your animations? Your motion design? All these elements are not secondary: they contribute to the immediate identification of your brand by the audience.
Your promotional video should show that you are solving a problem, or offering something your audience does not have
Frame your product as THE solution! In this video by Command (TM) Brand, we see a woman trying to fix a painting with a hammer. Then, singer MC Hammer (remember him and his extra large trousers?), recommends her to use the hanging strips, to avoid making holes in the walls.
- the brand plays on the celebrity, VIP, and nostalgia side, for the fans of the 90s, which attracts attention quickly,
- it also plays on humour: it did not choose MC Hammer at random to criticise the use of the hammer,
- and she quickly presents her product as the solution to the problem of holes in walls.
Pay attention to quality in your video: look professional!
You don’t want to look like amateurs! You don’t want to look like a cheap company, making poor quality videos, in dark places, with bad sound.
You will therefore have to give importance to:
- the location: choose places with natural light, such as outdoors, for example.
- sound: this is the fear of many videographers: not hearing what the interviewees are saying. To avoid unpleasant surprises, get a lapel microphone.
- another important point: have a filming tool that remains stable: for this, if you choose a smartphone or iPhone as a filming tool, get a tripod.
Make your promotional video SEO-friendly, so it can be found easily
This step is very important: making your promotional video is good, but your audience has to be able to find it easily! Note that Youtube is the second largest search engine in the world, just behind Google.
So how do you go about it?
- pay attention to the title of your video: it must contain a main keyword, the one on which you want to position the video (for example: cheap language courses, organic food, etc.),
- accompany your video with hashtags: these hashtags must be related to the theme and the world covered in your video, for example: #organicfood, #healthy, #lifestyle,
- give importance to the thumbnail of your video: it’s what people will see first, and it’s what will make them want to click (or not): so think about highlighting the product or the people interviewed, or even putting quotes, key ideas in the text of your thumbnail.
If you are looking for inspiration, you can find in this article 12 examples of inspiring promotional videos.
What about you? As marketers, would you like to make awesome content for social media, and stand out from your competitors ? To be able to create your own promo videos, ads or event videos, your own visual content, and get a lot of views, plus potential customers? Our startup offers you an easy interface, at an affordable budget, allows you to choose a pre designed template, import your footage, animation, images, graphics, to create your own clips. We also have an app, where you can edit your video rushes.
The use of video marketing is exploding! 85% of marketers use it and rightly so, as 7 out of 10 consumers prefer this format to discover a product or service (Wyzowl 2020).
We've listed the major trends for 2022 in terms of video formats for you, and it's good timing, because Pitchy allows you to cover them all! 😉
- Complete demo
- Examples of customer video creations
- Offers and prices